- To provide students with critical insights derived from selected readings and their main concepts and issues;
- To prepare students for a comparative and complementary analysis of literary and visual documents in an Asian context;
- To identify the major lines of discontinuity and change in the image of Portugal and the Portuguese (vis-à-vis other Europeans) in historical and mnemonic frameworks of major Asian cultural centres (India, Southeast Asia, China, and Japan);
- To contextualize Portuguese interests in the possibilities/necessities equation in Asia;
- To promote a constant articulation between the historical past and contemporary developments in Asia.
Through the Eyes of Asia – History and Memory of the Portuguese
6 ECTs / Semester / Portuguese